Jacksonville School for Autism (JSA) is seeking a music therapist to join our growing team of specialists.
Music therapy is an integral part of both group and individual learning at JSA. The music therapist is in charge of planning and executing two musical performances each year.
The team focuses on a wide range of programs and augmentative services including:
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Therapy
- Classroom Programs
- Speech & Occupational Therapy
- Karate, Yoga & Music Therapy/Piano
Music Therapist Preferences:
- Bachelor’s Degree with Board Certification in Music Therapy
- 5 years relevant experience is preferred
- Dalcroze Eurhythmics training; specific training towards Piano improvisation skills related to music and movement based on Dalcroze Eurhythmics
- Examples of work with children at the piano
- Examples of relevant work experience to include experience with children on the autism spectrum, including language-impaired
- Willingness to develop into existing established program
- Proven situational leadership skills and the ability to motivate and generate enthusiasm with individuals across all levels of the school
- Exemplary interpersonal skills that translate into positive relationships with colleagues and clients
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues and clients
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Music therapy is designed specifically for each individual student based on his/her learning strengths as well as challenges. The development of a music-based sensory integration program for the child with autism will address the following areas:
- Auditory integration issues: location, auditory focus, tracking, figure-ground discrimination
- Sensory/auditory/visual integrative issues: specifically, extended auditory attention and integration; auditory/physical coordination; auditory/visual coordination; visual focus; attention; tracking.
- Physical coordination: bilateral integration of physical movement through rhythmic movement and activities providing appropriate proprioceptive and vestibular stimulus through music activities.
- Breath control and language stimulation through such activities as playing the piano and singing along, vocalization tasks, fill-in songs, sound imitation; expressive language development; conversations.
- Self-regulation, motivation, curiosity, appropriate use of instruments; tasks attention; self-restraint.
- Organization of environment: movement in through space
- Cognition and cognitive association through visual/auditory resources (numbers/letter shapes and colors); imitation; generalization.
- Social awareness: development of affect, choice, likes/dislikes, awareness of self-other; personal boundaries; sharing; turn taking; interest of self and others; conversations.
- Relatedness to task, stimulus, activities requiring specific hands-on participation addressing eye-contact, the exact processing of auditory information.
- Attention/focus: extended attention to task; self-regulation; extended focus and repetition.
Other Job Requirements for All JSA Positions:
- No prior criminal history
- Proficient in using Word & Excel
- Physical ability to run, jump, get on/off the floor, bend and help carry students.
- Push/pull 75 pounds (e.g., move school tables/training materials) and lift/support 25 pound of weight.
- Full Health Benefits Package (Health/Dental/Vision/401K)
- Competitive employee compensation with 5 weeks paid holidays & personal paid time off
- Compensation for training time – 14 days paid Training/Planning Days
- Professional Training & Development
- Direct Supervision by BCBA & Certified Teachers
- Flexible work schedules for work/family balance
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Access to a multidisciplinary team with opportunity for supervision hours
Please submit copies of the following application materials:
- Cover letter
- 3 letters of recommendation
Candidates should be prepared for an interview exercise that aligns with the requirements of the position as part of the in personal interview process.
Interested in Working at JSA?
If you are interested in the music therapist position at JSA, please complete the form below: